This was a recipe my Mum and I came up with for a dinner party we had once. It was an absolute success – everyone loved it, it looked great and it was surprisingly simple to make. Obviously this is a bit more of a summer dessert, but it’s becoming increasingly easy to source summer fruits in winter and the quality of some frozen fruits can be really good!
This recipe serves 4-6 people.
- Amaretto peaches (see recipe below)
- 3 ripe mangoes, skin removed and sliced thinly
- 6-10 store bought meringue nests, crumbled
- 600mL pouring cream, whipped until thick
- 1 cup of shaved coconut
- Sesame snap shard (see recipe below)
Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Place shaved coconut on a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in the oven. Cook until the coconut just starts to turn a nice golden colour. Watch this very closely as it will burn very easily! Once cooked remove from the oven and leave to cool. This will keep in an airtight container for a number of weeks so this step can be prepared in advance.
In a nice glass or bowl place a two halves of the amaretto peaches, add a generous dollop of cream, and a small handful of the crumbled meringue. Next add a generous layer of the slice mango followed by another layer of meringue. Finally add some more cream and top with the toasted coconut and a shard of the sesame snap.
Now get it in your belly!
- 6 ripe peaches
- 1/2 cup of caster sugar
- 2-5tbs of amaretto
- Preheat your the grill on your oven to 250 degrees Celsius
- Cut a small cross shape at the base of each peach and place into boiling water until the peaches have soften and the skin starts to come away from the peach. At this stage remove the peaches from the water and leave to cool slightly
- Once cool enough to handle, peel the skin from the peach and cut each peach in half, discarding the seed.
- Place peaches, center side up on a lined baking tray and sprinkle each peach with sugar.
- Place under the grill for 5-10 minutes or until the peaches are soft and the sugar has caramelized
- Then drizzle the peaches with amaretto to your taste.
- 1 & 1/3 cups of sesame seeds
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1/3 cup of water
- Pinch of salt
- Heat a medium sized frying pan and add sesame seeds. Cook until sesame seeds have started to turn a nice golden colour, but be careful to watch the pan closely as they can burn pretty quickly!
- Once sesame seeds are golden remove from the pan and spread evenly across a large baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place the sugar and water in the same pan used before and over a moderate heat bring to the boil. The sugar and water will form a caramel. Cook until the caramel is a nice golden colour.
- Carefully pour the caramel onto the baking tray, so it forms a thin layer over the sesame seeds. Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, using your hands or a knife break into nice sized shards.
The sesame snaps will keep for quite a while in an airtight container.