Eggplant is my absolute favourite vegetable. It can be cooked in so many ways and take on so many different flavours and I personally think the texture is to die for! This salad is fresh and spicy. The creamy texture of the eggplant is contrasted with the crunch and freshness of the beautiful pomegranate. Annnd the spiciness of the chilli and the cooling yoghurt and mint also compliment each other beautifully! This is perfect for summer and looks very festive with the red and the green! This was based on Karen Martin recipe that you can find here
• 4 large eggplants
• Salt flakes
• Extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 300g plain yoghurt
• 1 lemon, juiced
• ¼ bunch mint, picked
• 1 green chilli, sliced into rings
• 1 red chilli, sliced into rings
• ½ fresh pomegranate – see tip below
1. Cut the eggplant into 1-2 cm thick rounds, season generously with salt and set aside for eat least 20 minutes. This will not only season the eggplant beautifully but will act to draw moisture out of eggplant and take away any bitterness.
2. Combine the cumin, yoghurt, lemon juice and a good pinch of salt.
3. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil
4. Heat up a pan, grill pan or BBQ.
5. When the pan is hot, add the eggplant slices and cook until nicely golden and soft, but still holding its shape. You may need to do this in batches so not to overcrowd the pan.
6. Arrange the eggplant in a serving bowl. Spoon the yoghurt dressing over the eggplant and then sprinkle the chillies, mint and pomegranate over the top!
Fun Tip: The best way to get the seeds out of the pomegranate is to cut it in half, place one of the halves cut side down in your hand (with your fingers separated) and bang the top hard with a spoon or rolling pin.