As the good little Greek girl that I am, I love haloumi, but I mean who doesn’t! When fried, it’s crispy, oozy, salty cheese – what’s not to like!
I recently discovered a new brand of haloumi at Woolworths. It’s called Will Studd Selected Aphrodite Haloumi and it utterly divine!
This salad, is light and super quick to make and would make a great starter or side salad to a meal.
The quantities here are only for one person, but obviously scale it up to serve more people.
- 1 tbs raisins
- 2 tbs pine nuts
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 of a large red chilli, finely sliced
- 4 zucchini flowers (with zucchini attached)
- 4 kalamata olives, pips removed, cut in half
- 4 slices of haloumi, 1 cm thick
- 1 tbs of fresh lemon juice
- Handful of basil and mint leaves
- Place raisins in some warm water while you cook the rest of the meal. This is so they become plump and gorgeous!
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook until golden brown. Watch these really carefully as one second they’re fine and next they’re burnt! Once golden, remove from pan and set aside.
- Prepare the zucchini flowers, by carefully opening up the petals and removing the stamen (I find that gently blowing on the petals help them to open up). Then remove the flowers from the zucchini. Cut the flowers and zucchini’s in half lengthwise.
- Add a splash of olive oil to the fry pan on a medium high heat. Add the chilli and zucchinis and cook until the zucchinis start to soften.
- Strain the raisins and add them along with the olives and zucchini flowers to the pan.
- Add the haloumi to the pan. Cook for 30 to 40 seconds on each side or until golden.
- Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice, pine nuts and herbs and serve.
I really love this meal and have had it twice in the past two weeks – it’s really yummy and light AND it has HALOUMI! Best.