I love pulled meat but normally it can take hours and hours to cook. But this recipe takes half an hour! That’s right THIRTY MINUTES!! So if you want pulled meat for your tacos, burritos, burgers etc but don’t want to wait, then this is the recipe for you!!
This chicken is smokey, spicy and so bloody delicious! It is also so easy and really is a one-pot wonder! You can use any left over sauce to add to a ragu, or to make more pulled chicken!
I made this for a family get together to have with soft tacos, slaw and salsa and everyone absolute loved it! Then with the left over sauce, I made the recipe again, this time having it with just polenta and the sauce, as a kind of ragu (see picture!)!
It has quickly become one of my favourite recipes!
I have listed rough quantities of ingredients, but I really added most things by taste.
- 1.5 kg chicken thigh fillets
- 1 packet of Herbies Cajun spice mix (contains a mix of Paprika, Salt, Basil, Garlic, Onion, Black Pepper, Fennel Seed, Parsley, Cinnamon, Thyme, White Pepper, Cayenne)
- Olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 cup bourbon (optional)
- 1.5 kg of canned whole tomatoes (crushed is also fine)
- 4 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (I bought this at Thomas Dux) – These are spicy, so if you dont like heat, add less!
- 1.5 tbsp of adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 5 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp of molasses
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- Place the chicken, a good splash of olive oil and the cajun spice mix in a bowl and mix until the chicken is well coated in the spice mix and set aside for 10 minutes (If you cant find this spice mix or want to make your own, or completely leave it out that will all work.
- Seal the chicken on both sides in batches in a fry pan or on the BBQ like I did.
- Add oil to a large, high sided fry pan or pot over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook slowly until the onions have softened, but not become golden.
- Add the red wine vinegar and reduce until most of the liquid has disappeared.
- If using the bourbon, add now, and allow to reduce by half.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and then TASTE the sauce!
- Add more or less of things to your taste. Eg. if you dont like spice, add less chilli or more tomatoes.
- Bring the sauce to the boil.
- Add the chicken to the sauce, reduce sauce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure that the chicken hasn’t stuck to the bottom.
- After 30 minutes, turn of the heat, remove the chicken from the sauce, and allow to cool slightly.
- Pull the chicken using two forks, then add a small amount of the sauce to coat the shredded chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!!
P.S. If you have left over sauce make sure to save it, to add flavour to so many other dishes such as a tomato ragu, or to cook, this recipe again! It freezes really well!
Let me know if you try this dish!! I hope you love it as much as I do!